Will my perm look better after I wash it?
Washing your hair just after getting the perm is not right. This will not result in more curls. Instead, your curls will become more natural as a result. So the amount of time & money that you put into getting special curls will be wasted.
The ammonium thioglycolate, the chemical responsible for providing curls to your hair, will be deactivated if your hair is wet for at least 24 hours after getting a perm. Likewise, the curls will disintegrate in the hair washing process if the chemicals, primarily the neutralizer, do not have time to set.
It is advised to wait for at least 48 hours to wash hair after getting a perm. Moreover, washing after 48 hours will do not help get more curls; it will only be good to maintain the perm.
What happens if I shower after a perm?
If you shower just after perm, then the shape of your perm will change & it will become more natural curly. So it is not right for your just permed hair. Furthermore, the chemicals used in perms destroy certain keratin chains in a hair to change its shape. When the hair is permed, it becomes fragile and needs to be cared for properly in order to stay healthy.
In the next two days, all harmful impacts should be avoided, including hair washing.
However, you can use dry shampoo instead of hair washing. It will do the magic of washing without even hair washing.
Another reason for not washing within a few days after getting a perm is that the neutralizer that is used to form curls must be completely soaked into the hair. It takes at least 48 hours to do the work & set the hair properly.
That's why you should avoid showering after a perm.
Read Also: can you take a bath after getting a tattoo
Should I wash my hair before a perm?
Actually, No! You should not wash your hair two days before getting a perm. It is because dirty hair contains a high concentration of natural oils that protect your hair and scalp from the aggressive chemicals used in perming.
You should only wash your hair with shampoo if you absolutely must, as conditioner will only weigh the hair down.
Moreover, if you want to wash your hair, do not do it a night before the perming process because your hair gets stripped of natural hair oil, so the hair will be more prone to damage.
How to wash newly permed hair?
If you have waited for 48 hours to wash hair after getting them permed, then do not just wash them with any shampoo or any in any way. There is a proper procedure to wash hair after a perm. Here is the whole process:
- Postpone washing your hair for at least 48 hours after the perm. It's best to wait at least 72 hours.
- Always use shampoo and conditioner that is meant for chemically treated hair. Using these shampoos can keep your permed hair healthy and well-nourished.
- Foam the hair and use warm water to rinse it.
- Definitely, apply conditioner after shampooing. A nickel-sized amount of conditioner is enough to give the best results.
- To eliminate as much extra moisture as possible, gently dry your hair with a towel. Air drying is the best way to dry the newly permed hair.
- Apply the untangling agent to your hair. Use a wide-toothed comb to comb the hair & spread untangling agent carefully. You can use your fingers to go through it gently.
Redken Extreme Conditioner & shampoo for Damaged Hair
Briogeo Conditioning Hair Mask
SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Leave-in treatment
We hope now you know the right time to wash your hair after getting them, period. Moreover, follow the instructions for washing hair that is newly permed.
Please let us know your thoughts & recommendations on this article in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!