Braiding your hair is a great way of rocking different styles, and that too with protecting your hair. One can braid their hair in various braiding styles like box braids, faux braids, bohemian braids & feed in braids, etc. You can get braids from anywhere, but it usually involves one problem. The braids hurt from the scalp after you got them. So many people question, how long does it take for braids to stop hurting?
It usually takes one to two days for the braids to stop hurting. The braids hurt due to the tight braiding from the roots.
Let's get to know more about the reasons & duration of hurting braids & even how to get relief of the pain.
How long does it take for braids to loosen up?
It usually takes between one to two days for the braids to loosen up. This actually happens when braids are being plaited & the hairstylist pulls the hair tightly from the scalp & makes the braids.
Hairstylists or artists do it to increase the life of braids & keep the braids on for a long time. However, if the braids are plated loosely, then the hair will start to come out in just 1-2 days.
So you can wait for one or two days & the braids will loosen up & you will relieve.
Quick Link: how often should you get your hair trimmed
How long does it take for cornrows to stop hurting?
Cornrows also take one to two days to stop hurting. Just like normal braids, cornrows are also plaited tightly to increase their duration & to keep hair in the braids.
How long does it take box braids to stop hurting?
Like other braid styles, box braids also take 1-2 days to stop hurting after being plaited. If they hurt for too long, then try some measures or take a painkiller.
Is it normal for braids to hurt?
Yes! It is normal for braids to hurt & this is due to braids being plaited too tightly. Hairstylists & hair artists actually do it to keep the braids one for a long time & increase the life of braids. But if they're hurting too much, then it is not right.
Sometimes the braids also hurt when one gets artificial hair of too long length on the short hair. So the tension of these hair comes on the hair & at last the scalp. In this case, it is not normal for the braids to hurt. So try to avoid too long & textured artificial hair for braiding.
Quick Link: can you take a bath after getting a tattoo
How to relieve pain from tight braids?
If you cannot bear the pain of your too-tight braids, then here are some of the suggestions to relieve the pain:
1) Use the comb to decrease hair tension: You can use the thin comb with a long handle to relieve pain by using it at the roots of the braids. This will loosen the tight hair.
2) Use a leave-in conditioner – Using a leave-in conditioner will help reduce the tension between braids by providing moisture & working on dry braids. You can even massage after applying the conditioner.
Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Divine Strength Leave-In Conditioner
3) Get hair massage with oil – Use a good amount of oil & get hair massage for at least 1-2 minutes. This will lose the hair from the scalp & help in relieving the pain.
4) Wash your hair with warm water – Washing your hair will loosen up the hair as the warm water will open the hair shaft & the hair will become elastic.
5) Use hair streamer – The streamer, just like warm water, will open the hair shaft, making hair elastic & loosen up from tightness.
6) Wrap a damp towel for around one hour– Wrapping a damp towel around your head will help relieve the pain. The towel damp from the warm water will be best.
7) Use pencil – Pencil or any cylindrical object like a pencil will help relieve the pain of tight braids. Stick the pencil into the braid & move it around; it will loosen the hair.
If your braids hurt too much even after the measures, then you should undo the braids & talk with your professional. We hope you find this article helpful & informative.
Please let us know your thoughts & suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!