We use makeup brushes all the time to contour, highlight, and apply other cosmetics on our faces. But what about cleaning those makeup brushes? Makeup brushes and sponges are typically not cleaned often enough, and many people do not clean them at all, which is a big problem. From acne to E. coli infections, filthy makeup brushes can create various health and hygiene problems. So, it is essential to clean your makeup brushes properly and timely. But, how to clean makeup brushes?
You can clean all kinds of makeup brushes using at-home things very easily. You just need to follow some steps & your brushes will be good to use again. In this article, you will get to know every detail about how to clean makeup brushes!
Why should you clean your makeup brushes?
Sebum, pollutants, dust, bacteria, dead skin cells, and product buildup accumulate on makeup brushes. Dirty cosmetic brushes can cause everything from acne to E. coli infections; therefore, they should be cleaned from time to time.
Moreover, makeup is easier to apply when your brushes are clean, and even clean brushes last longer.
To ensure that germs don’t grow in damp conditions, eye-area and liquid makeup brushes should be cleaned after every use.
How often should you clean your makeup brushes?
Usually, you should clean your makeup brushes after every time you use them, but that can be challenging for many of us. So for different types of makeup brushes, here is the minimum time period to clean them:
- Once or twice a week is typically sufficient for powder cosmetic brushes such as blushes and bronzers, as they are frequently used.
- Daily cleaning is essential for brushes used with liquid foundations, concealers, and eyeshadows, which can house bacteria that can lead to diseases.
- In order to prevent germs from growing in damp conditions, eye-area and liquid makeup brushes should be cleaned after every use.
- Makeup sponges need to be washed after every use.
What are things needed to clean makeup brushes?
To clean the makeup brushes, you will need some things that include:
- Soap: Deep cleaning your makeup equipment can be done with any soap or shampoo. Soap or shampoo can be used to remove all the grime and makeup.
- Baby Shampoo: Makeup brushes can also be cleaned with baby shampoo, which is widely used. To clean natural fiber brushes, these gentle formulations are ideal.
- Brush Cleaner: Using a brush cleaner is the most efficient and effective way to clean your eye-area and liquid makeup brushes.
- Brush-Washing Mat: Naturally, you can work the liquid soap into each brush by hand. Because of the slots in the brush-washing mat, you can clean all the bristles.
- Mesh Covers: Replace brush heads with mesh coverings that have been properly cleaned. By preventing bristle fray, these covers will maintain them in good shape and still allow adequate airflow for drying.
Honbay 100PCS Makeup Brush Protector
How to clean makeup brushes?
Here comes the main process. You need to follow the following step-by-step guide to clean your makeup brushes:
1) Wet the brush bristles
Wet the brush’s bristles with lukewarm water. As a general guideline, always wet your brushes upside down so that water doesn’t get into the ferrule and dissolve the glue over time, resulting in a destroyed brush.
2) Add Cleanser/ soap or shampoo
In the palm of your hand or on a plate or a brush-washing mat, apply the cleanser in a dime-sized amount.
3) Gently massage the brush against the cleanser
Saturate the brush’s bristles with the cleanser by rubbing it between your palms or on a washing mat. Then, for about 15 seconds, use a gentle circular motion to work the brush head into the soap to loosen any product residue.
4) Now, Rinse the brush
Rinse the soap and product from the brush after it has been sudsy. If the water still doesn’t run clear, follow steps 1 and 2 again, this time making sure the water doesn’t come into contact with the handle of your brush.
5) Squeeze the excess water
Once the brushes have been cleaned to your satisfaction, blot the bristles dry with a clean cloth and squeeze out any remaining water.
6) Let it Dry
Let your brushes air-dry overnight on a paper towel in their original shapes. It’s important to avoid drying your brushes on their sides, as this might allow moisture to leak in and lead to mildew growth.
7) Store Properly
Clean, dry brushes should be stored apart from your makeup to prevent cross-contamination.
Brushes can be stored with their bristles up in a drying rack or in a beauty bag, as long as the bag is as clean and dry as the brushes themselves.
Read Also: Best moisturizer for oily skin
How to treat natural bristles brushes?
A genuine, animal-derived brush is more delicate and fragile than one made of synthetic bristles. So if you’re using natural brushes, you’ll want to wash them more carefully.
Natural bristle brushes can be softened and detangled by applying a small amount of conditioner to them. You can use any kind of conditioner for this purpose.
How to keep makeup brushes fresh in between washes?
Disposable cleaning wipes can be used to give your brushes a quick once-over. Of course, you should still wash your makeup brushes from time to time, but this helps keep the ends in good condition in between washes.
You can purchase these makeup brush cleaning wipes to keep your brushes clean in between washes:
EcoTools Makeup Brush Cleansing Cloths
How much time does it take to clean makeup brushes?
Using makeup-cleansing wipes, you can clean all of your eyes and liquid makeup brushes in a matter of seconds.
Using soap and water, you can thoroughly clean all of your brushes in about a minute. The brushes can take up to an hour to dry by air.
When to replace the makeup brushes?
The life of your brushes can be extended with regular cleaning, but eventually, they will need to be replaced.
With proper care, a high-quality brush can last for many years. On the other hand, natural hair brushes are likely to last less time because of the greater resistance to wear and tear that synthetic bristles provide.
No matter what kind of brush you use, when bristles start to fall out, or the size and softness of the brush start to go down, it’s time for a new one.
When it comes to makeup sponges, the average lifespan of this equipment is three months. So it is best to replace your sponge with a new one every time the season changes.
How to clean makeup brushes with vinegar?
Vinegar is a terrific option if you’re looking for a natural way to clean your makeup brushes. If you are worried about the smell of vinegar, then the smell will go away once the brushes dry.
You can clean your makeup brushes with vinegar by following these steps:
1) Create Solution of Soap & Vinegar
Take warm or hot water in a cup or container. Now, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Next, add a half-teaspoon of dish soap to the water. To ensure that the solution is thoroughly included, stir it in.
2) Swirl the brushes in the solution
Each brush should be dipped into the liquid and swished around. Once you’re certain it’s clean, remove it from the sink and give it a good rinsing in cool water.
Repeat the process with each brush, making sure to wash and rinse them individually.
3) Let the brushes dry
To remove any remaining water from the brushes, wipe them gently several times on a clean paper towel. To dry the brushes, lay them out on a piece of paper towel. Let them dry overnight.
How to clean makeup brushes with dish soap?
Using dish soap to clean a brush-covered in the foundation or a sponge covered in silicones and oils can be a great help!
Here’s how to clean makeup brushes with dish soap:
- Add a thin layer of dish soap & water solution to a small basin.
- Make sure the tip of your brush is dipped in the solution.
- Now run the brush back & forth in the solution to remove the product buildup & dirt from the brushes.
- Wipe your brush with a clean microfiber or paper towel to remove any remaining buildup.
- Layout your brushes flat to dry so that they can be dried by air.
Now, you are good to use your makeup brushes again.
How to clean makeup brushes naturally?
You can clean your makeup brushes with many easily available home things. So, you don’t need to buy special makeup brush cleaning products.
You can clean your brush with a combination of coconut oil, liquid dish soap & hand soap. Here is the process:
- In order to make a thick lather, combine one tablespoon of raw, unrefined organic coconut oil and one tablespoon of liquid dish soap as well as one tablespoon of liquid hand soap.
- Each brush should be swirled in the paste in a different direction to ensure that all the bristles are coated.
- You should see the filth dissolve in front of you if you squeeze beneath a warm, flowing tap.
- Follow this procedure for every brush. To clean cosmetic sponges or blenders, you can also use this procedure.
- After that, pat the brushes dry with a towel or paper towel.
How to clean makeup brushes DIY?
Here are two DIY ways to clean your makeup brushes easily:
The use of baking soda to clean a variety of household items, including cosmetic brushes, is well known. Here’s how you can clean brushes with baking soda:
- Simply cover the brush bristles with warm water in a cup.
- Let sit for five minutes after adding a spoonful of baking soda.
- Now that your brushes are clean, rinse and dry them well.
Makeup brushes can be cleaned with the help of oils like tea tree oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. Here’s how you can do this:
- Brushes can be soaked in tepid water with a few drops of these oils, or they can be swabbed in your palm with a few drops and swirled to coat the bristles.
- Soak your brush in dish soap and water for a few minutes to release any stuck-on grime.
How to clean makeup brushes with pad?
To keep your brush hairs in top condition, use a silicone brush cleansing pad that has raised bumps or grooves for gentle cleaning.
To thoroughly clean your brushes, you have to use a sudsy brush cleanser and spin your brushes in a circular motion.
You can rinse and re-use the pad if you’re not satisfied with the cleanliness of your brush.
Here is one of the best makeup brush cleaning pads that you can buy:
Norate Brush Cleaning Mat
How to clean makeup brushes with shampoo?
Baby shampoo or any other shampoo is a great option to clean makeup brushes. Here is the easy step-by-step process:
- Rinse your brushes with warm water to remove any last traces of makeup.
- Gently swirl your brush tip in a bowl of lukewarm water with a spritz of shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can create a lather by swishing the brush around in your hand.
- Repeat the rinsing of the brush tip in running water. Repetition of steps two and three should be done until the brush is water-free.
- Re-shape the bristles of your brush by wiping it clean with a towel.
- Dry your brushes by laying them out on a piece of linen.
This was all about how to clean makeup brushes with the use of various products & things. We hope now you will keep your makeup brushes clean.
Please let us know your thoughts & suggestions in the comments below if you found this article helpful & informative.
Thank you for reading!